Unified Fitness


Unified Fitness 

        This semester, I am a Unified Fitness workout buddy for my Disability Sport class. Unified Fitness is a club for people with and without an intellectual disability. It is a great opportunity for people with disabilities to engage in physical activity with a friend or partner. I workout with my client every Tuesday at the ARC, and we do cardio, weights/weight machines, and body weight exercises. I always look forward to working out on those days because my client absolutely loves and enjoys Unified Fitness. It's not only a great experience, but it's an honor to be able to improve their overall day and help them stick to a healthy lifestyle. If you have the chance and would like to work with people with disabilities more, I highly recommend looking into Unified Fitness. There are also other programs to choose from as well, such as nutrition. 

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. I had no idea that our school had such a great opportunity. If I didn't work a lot I would defiantly be interested in looking into helping out with this! I'm going to check it out on the website and the days that I don't work I might be able to stop by and try and help out. I think this would be a great experience to try out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angeline! Email Mrs. Fagan (wendy.fagan@sru.edu) or Zach Baynham (zachary.baynham@sru.edu) for more info if you're interested!

      Delete
  2. I bet this is such an amazing experience for you and for your client! I was unaware Slippery Rock had a program like this. Unified Fitness sounds like a great program for you and all the clients involved. It is probably such a feel good thing to do. I was wondering where you found this program, I'd love to look more into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sadie! My professor for Disability Sport is the person who introduced Unified Fitness to me. If you're interested, email Mrs. Fagan (wendy.fagan@sru.edu) or Zach Baynham (zachary.baynham@sru.edu) for more info!

      Delete
  3. Carli, that is so inspirational and motivating for you to participate in a club like this. It is always heart-warming to hear that there are sports out their for children with special needs/disabilities. Makes me think this world isn't so bad after all. I will definitely be looking more into this club...it might be next semester that I can fit it in my schedule but I would love to be apart of something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really great that your doing this. I also was unaware that Slippery Rock offered this program. This experience will be a great resume builder for you. It will also help you out with future employment opportunities. I'm sure you are learning a lot as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Giving Yourself a Break

Balance is Key